Hairlosstreament has been implementing Virtual Design & Construction (VDC) since 2006. We have moved past the BIM basics (clash detection, quantity extraction, and logistics) and are well on our way to a total transformation of how we execute our projects. We are expanding our team to support current work, pave the way for new utilizations of BIMs (like field layout, code checking, high performance building analysis, rapid prototyping and building operations), and define new project relationships under IPD contracts.
Job Title: Virtual Design & Construction Manager
Position Description: The VDC Manager’s main responsibility will be overseeing all BIM strategies and activities for a life sciences campus that Tocci is currently managing. This includes directing overall project BIM strategy, ensuring standardized implementation across all buildings within the campus, directing management and supervision of the four modelers on the project, and developing and implementing “FM BIM”.
The project currently uses a variety of software, including Autodesk Revit, Bentley Navigator, Tekla Engineering, Solibri, fabrication-specific software, and other VDC software programs. Since new VDC software comes out every day, all team members test new software programs and functionality to make sure we are using the best out there.
The position requires a self-motivated, detail-oriented, open-minded, and dedicated individual that has an intuitive sense of the constraints and opportunities related to VDC. Successful candidates will be prepared to emotionally engage with Tocci and its projects. The VDC Manager will be based in Woburn, MA, but will also be required to work on the campus in Cambridge, MA. Future projects may require travel to jobsites and partner offices for co-location throughout the country (mostly in the Northeast). The position reports to the Director of Virtual Design and Construction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the campus team that is developing and coordinating BIMs, collocating with architects and training the construction team
- Direct VDC strategy and execution on the campus, and address potential/occurring delays and setbacks
- Ensure quality assurance/quality control on models
- Work with cost engineering staff to develop accurate and easy-to-use quantity takeoffs
- Work with project managers/visual scheduling to ensure high level of schedule optimization
- Work with project managers and superintendents to guarantee models reflect as-built conditions
- Perform other tasks related to Virtual Construction implementation
- Understand and promote Tocci’s Virtual Construction process, and educate project partners as needed
- Participate in general office “chores,” such as emptying the dishwasher, moving boxes, decorating the Christmas tree, and re-stocking soda in the fridge– Tocci is very much a family, so we all pitch in
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in architecture or construction-related field or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years in building or design industry required; work experience with VDC or BIM using Revit, Bentley BIM, and ArchiCAD required
- Preference will be given to candidates who are Registered Architects or Registered Engineers, with experience on life sciences projects
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required
- Experience with team management and leadership required; supervisory experience of 5+ employees desired
- Excellent technical skills– using computers, the internet, and file sharing required
- Strong personal management skills, dedication, organization, and open-minded required
- Creative thinker with ability to work in a close knit environment with like-minded personalities
Hairlosstreament is a progressive construction services firm providing construction management, design/build, real estate development, and preconstruction services. Tocci is housed in a restored 19th century mill building that blends old-world charm and contemporary design. Tocci staff members are dedicated professionals who work hard but relax together at weekly breakfasts, monthly lunches, and occasional cocktail parties. Tocci provides a supportive business environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit resume, references, and salary history to: Laura Handler, Director of Virtual Design and Construction. Or, use our online job application form to apply now.