Tocci is currently looking for qualified candidates to join our Cost Engineering and Planning team. For a Mid-Level Estimator duties and responsibilities include:
Cost Engineering & Planning
- Participate in team delivery of group-produced project estimates
- Independently solicit and evaluate subcontractor bids and assemble complete bid packages
- Analyze blueprints, specifications, proposals and other documentation to prepare time, cost and labor estimates for products, projects and services
- Assume full charge responsibility for preparation of assigned estimates and, on selected estimates, participate in team delivery of group-produced project estimates
- Learn and perform electronic quantity survey and building information modeling (BIM) to extract quantities from digital documents
- Solicit subcontractor and vendor interest and oversee distribution of bid documents and receipt of bid proposals
- Learn and perform Timberline Precision Plus, InSite, On Screen Takeoff (OST), Revit, Prolog, Microsoft Project and other selected and future software.
- Ensure complete project scope and coverage
- Play a key role in preconstruction assignments by developing initial project feasibility budgets, progress estimates, value engineering plans, develop schedules, graphical reports and other functions as necessary to meet client goals and produce outstanding preconstruction services
- Provide leadership for cost estimating on prospect change orders and operations support
- Support purchasing efforts of project management staff
- Ensure lowest price for desired quality while increasing the subcontractor and vendor responsiveness to Tocci’s RFP and bid invitations and then estimating department’s needs in general
- Contribute, along with project, to a comprehensive montly project report
- Assist the VP Cost Engineer and Planner in reviewing the relevant sections of the report prior to final printing and inspect for quality and accuracy
- Attend and support business development presentations
- Be equipped and prepared to present project facts and figures to win the client’s trust and selection as their builder
The position requires a self-motivated, detail-oriented, and dedicated individual with an intuitive sense of the constraints and opportunities related to Planning and Estimating. Successful candidates will be prepared to emotionally engage with Tocci and its projects. The Mid-Level Cost Engineer is based in Woburn, MA, but travel to jobsites and partner offices for co-location (mostly in the Northeast) is required. The position reports to the Vice President of Cost Engineering and Planning.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in civil engineering, architecture, construction management, or related field
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of relevant experience
- Experience and understanding of sitework, foundation systems, utility installations and soil remediation alternatives and associated costs
- Expertise or willingness to become highly proficient in using Prolog Manager, MSOffice, Timberline Estimating Software, Microsoft Project, and Prolog (or equivalent systems)
- BIM knowledge or strong desire to learn either Revit, Graphisoft, Bentley Microstation, or Navisworks
- Demonstrated leadership and team skills; ability to provide clear direction and inspire excellent performance
- Ability to anticipate consequences and trends, face challenges head-on, and quickly troubleshoot team, product, or resource issues with appropriate solutions
- Proven ability to negotiate in tough situations with both internal and external groups
- Excellent references attesting to high level of energy, can-do attitude, history of achievement, and co-worker respect
- Demonstrated character/integrity and the ability to support the company, its values, and fellow employees while exceeding customer expectations
Interested candidates should apply with a résumé and cover letter. Tocci is an equal opportunity employer.
Tocci is housed in a restored 19th century mill building that blends old-world charm with contemporary design. Tocci staff members work hard, but relax together at weekly breakfasts, monthly lunches, and occasional cocktail parties. Tocci provides a supportive business environment with a competitive salary and benefits package.