Design Phase Manager
Tocci has an immediate opening for a Design Phase Manager to provide proactive design phase and estimating services to project owners and design teams. The Design Phase Manager will work on multiple projects simultaneously. This position reports to the VP of Planning and Cost Engineering.
- Deliver and set the tone for exceptional client relations
- Work closely with clients and design partners to identify project goals
- Communicate and track project goals internal to team
- Provide weekly and monthly activity reports to clients and Tocci Executive Committee
- Coordinate and facilitate between business development, cost engineering, VDC, and project management during project’s design phase to deliver design phase services, execute contracts, and move projects to construction
Collaborate with cost engineering team to:
- Develop target costs, which serve as a basis for Target Value Design (TVD) process
- Prepare budgets, comparison analysis, and life-cycle costing
- Maintain costs throughout the design phase
- Identify appropriate trade partners and prepare bid packages
- Provide value optimization suggestions
Collaborate with project management team to:
- Develop detailed project design phase and baseline construction schedules
- Provide constructability feedback and analysis
- Develop site utilization planning
- Integrate lean construction delivery
- Transition project to construction phase activities
Collaborate with design teams to:
- Incorporate constructability and logistics solutions
- Translate the owner’s vision into design solutions and construction parameters
- Provide design phase work planning
- Integrate BIM requirements into models during design phase
- Set-up LEED tracking and analysis
- Ensure regulatory approvals are obtained
Collaborate with VDC team to:
- Develop BIM Execution Plan and strategy for the project
- Extract quantities to support cost engineering process
- Integrate model with schedule to support analysis and communication
- Develop logistics and site utilization plans
- Communicate constructability input
- Perform quality assurance of design BIMs
- Lead the solicitation, selection, and contracting with designers for design build projects
- Develop and build relationships and networks with business partners including project developers, equipment vendors, end user decision makers, and design partners
- Identify new project opportunities while working with customers
- Minimum 7 years of experience in design phase management or preconstruction services.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- In-depth knowledge of conceptual estimating, building construction, materials, systems, marketing conditions, and trade practices.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Timberline Estimating, On-Screen Take-off, Procore Manager and scheduling desirable.
- Positive attitude and professional customer service skills.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external teams; quickly gains trust.
- Ability to work with minimum assistance and supervision is required. Self-starting work habits.
- Detailed and action-oriented. Can work with both conceptual and detailed design information.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Creative problem-solving capabilities and can intuitively “connect the dots” to develop custom project approaches that align with Tocci’s mission and vision.
- Passionate about innovative solutions. Enjoys learning. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in BIM and Lean Construction.
Tocci is housed in a restored 19th century mill building that blends old-world charm with contemporary design. Tocci staff members work hard, but relax together at weekly breakfasts, monthly lunches, and occasional cocktail parties. Tocci provides a supportive business environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits package. Tocci is an equal opportunity employer.
If you’re interested in this position, please go and provide:
- Résumé (including role on and description of relevant projects)
- Salary history
- Three (3) references