How to be Healthy at the Office
Like most employees who work in an office, much of the day is spent sitting at a desk. Or in and industry such as construction where on a jobsite, most of the day involves standing and walking around. Neither of which are healthy for us. As hours spent working have increased over the years, it is important to remember to break away from the desk and stretch out our bodies or to sit for a moment when standing for long periods of time.
As a part of our Health + Wellness Initiatives, we implement healthy practices such as having our in residence certified Yoga instructor lead us in a relaxing lunch time session. At first integrating healthy practices into your workday may seem difficult but once a routine has been established, you will begin to relish in those healthy practices.
To help you get started we’ve pulled a list together with our tips for making your life healthier while working:
- Routinely check your posture and change the way you are sitting. Sit with your feet flat on the floor and sit slightly forward in your chair.
- Get up from your desk every 45 minutes to 1 hour. This could be as simple as grabbing some more water, making a trip to the bathroom, or instead of emailing, stop by a colleague’s desk to ask your question.
- If you spend the day standing, take a moment to stretch your muscles or sit and elevate your feet for a few minutes. Implement routine stretching breaks.
- If you have a lunch break, use a quarter of it to take a walk. If you’re inside, take the walk outside and get some fresh air.
- Skip the elevator and take the stairs.
- Take care of yourself and unwind after work such as stretching your back and neck to prevent damage. Here’s a link to exercises that will help you to