The 10 Most Useful Apps for Busy Business People
By now we all have smart phones. Most people probably have an ‘i’ device of some kind (according to the statistics). Our office is definitely an iPhone office. With most people in the corporate world on smart phones, app developers are busy creating applications that will help the businessperson stay productive and, in some cases, become even more productive. There are thousands of apps out there and I am sucker for new apps. I am constantly testing out new productivity apps while trying to find ‘the one’ for me. Through my recent explorations, research, and tests, I have compiled a list of the 10 most useful apps for busy people. I realized that 5 apps wouldn’t be enough and anything more than 10 may overwhelm the mortal man.
Most links below go to the iTunes store, but most all of these apps are available for Android phones also.
- – Asana is a shared task list for your team. Although it isn’t a beautiful app, it is very good for shared team tasks. You can put multiple tasks into a project folder, and share only certain tasks with certain people. You can also assign tasks to different people in a team on a project.
- – This app does some amazing things like generating an expense report. You can link corporate credits cards (securely) and track expenses in real time, you can take photos of receipts, track driving distances and time entries. At the end of it all, you can export a PDF and send to accounting. Genius!
- – If you haven’t heard of Evernote, I don’t know what to tell you. It take notes easily, syncs them between all of your devices, and the notes are fully searchable. You can scribble, dictate (Android only), or type.
- – You have all heard about WebEx meetings, no need to talk about that. This app gets you there without having to call in and type in all of those nasty numbers and codes. If you aren’t near a computer for a meeting, try this app!
- – I have found this app to be the best at scanning, skewing, and exporting from an iPhone. You can also take photos of multiple pages and put them together into one file for export. Even when you take photos at an angle, the application straightens everything out for you.
- – With this app you can organize travel plans in one place. TripIt creates an itinerary, gets directions, maps, and weather information, and syncs with your Apple Calendar, Outlook, and/or Google Calendar.
- – Don’t have enough time to finish that article? Find some URLs worth sharing but didn’t have a place to compile them? Pocket allows you to save webpages and articles for later viewing. It’s easy to integrate into Twitter and Facebook apps as well as your existing desktop browser. Pocket takes away all of the ‘fluff’ surrounding a web article and just gives you the desired text. It makes web articles more…well…readable!
- – You must have a Dropbox account to use this app, but it’s free. I love having this app on my devices. I can save projects at work to view at home and from home back to work. As a graphic designer, this has been nice because I can share files with my printing vendors through Dropbox easily without them having access my other Dropbox files. No more worrying if your email attachments are too large!
- – A free calendar app that works with iCal, Outlook and Google Calendar. It’s beautiful, intuitive, and was designed with the details in mind. I love this app! Sunrise has apps for phones, tablets and desktop computers (through a web app). It has map integration which is great for event navigation. To top it off, get weather information for the day you are viewing!
- – An easy way for those social butterflies to prepare Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+ posts ahead of time (and schedule when to go out), so you don’t have to be on Twitter while at work. You can make custom schedules and Buffer will send your posts our for you at the specified times. We use this at Tocci for our social media, it’s greatish!
*While I (and other team members) actively use these tools, Tocci does not endorse and is not affiliated with any of the above applications.