Fresh News on the Barclay Center
Six months after opening its doors, New York’s Barclays Center is still turning out gems. In that short span, the “best-designed arena in the country” (proclaimed at least by the New York Daily News) hosted for the one million across 93 events.
Barclays Center is the first piece of a $4.9 billion plan by Forest City Ratner Companies to redevelop Brooklyn’s Atlantic Yard. Sharing the same site will be three modular towers, slotted along the southern and eastern elevations of the arena site fronting Dean Street, Flatbush Ave, and 6th Ave. The first one is a 32-story residential tower known as B2, designed by SHoP Architects. Construction progress since December 2012, obtained courtesy of Empire State Development:
- Installation of Support Excavation piles are complete.
- Site excavation and pile installation are ongoing.
- Work has started in the Northeast quadrant of the site and continues towards the Southeast quadrant.
- Construction on the LIRR railyard is also underway.
- The B2 design team refined the details of the design and erection of the fit-out modular units during a two-month prototyping period.